Not to sound all sappy over here, but seriously, is there anything as incredible as the miracle of life?! But all too often I know expectant mothers will shy away from maternity portraits– and I was one of them! But today I’m here to tell you 5 reasons why you should absolutely, 100% have maternity portraits done!
- You, mama, are amazing! Sometimes it’s hard to see it when you’re dealing with the morning sickness, indigestion, swelling and other not-so-glorious pregnancy-related side effects, but you’re growing another human being and that’s amazing! I’m always so blown-away by what your body is capable of, and I want every mama to embrace it!
- Celebrate that baby bump! That tummy of yours– maybe you’ve always loved it, maybe you’ve looked at it in the mirror and asked why it’s not as flat as you’d like– but regardless of how you felt about it before your pregnancy, I don’t know any mama’s who don’t love what it does for our babies. Celebrate that!
- Honour the journey. I’m so lucky that I’ve had the chance to photograph a lot of couples’ weddings, followed by their pregnancies, newborns and families! Your pregnancy is a huge part of your family journey, your legacy, and having maternity portraits done is a truly lasting way to honour this part of the journey.
- Maternity portraits are fun! So often women approach their maternity session feeling a bit apprehensive about the experience, but they end up loving it! Who knew!
- Once it’s over, you can’t get it back. Honestly, my greatest regret when it comes to my own pregnancies is that I didn’t get maternity portraits done! In fact, I only have a handful of photos of myself with my baby bumps, and it’s such a disappointment that I let my own insecurities overshadow the fact that I was carrying my babies. It’s an experience that I can never get back, and I urge all expectant mothers not to make the same mistake.