When setting up Engagement Sessions the most frequently asked question that I get is about what to wear! And I totally get that! Heck, I have trouble figuring out what I’m going to wear to the grocery store, let alone in photos that are going to be shared around by family and friends, and displayed on my walls! Talk about pressure! So here’s the advice that I always pass along to our awesome Ackland Couples:
1. Bring 2 outfits. Everyone likes variety, and planning to have two separate outfits is the perfect way to have a couple different “looks” to your session.
2. Dress to the nines. Especially if you’re going to opt for 2 looks, I always encourage couples to choose one formal outfit. Everyone says “I just want to look like me, casual” but why not kick it up a notch? You’re only going to have engagement portraits taken once in you life, so doesn’t that make it the perfect opportunity to put on that gorgeous dress hanging in your closet and get your man out of his jeans? I say YES!
3. Ok, ok, dress casual. If you’re planning on a wardrobe change, or you just really hate the idea of dressing up, then choose something that is a slightly elevated version of what you would wear on a day-to-day basis. Think jeans, and your favourite I’ve-got-my-s&*!-together top. Avoid graphic tees and very small patterns, which can look distorted.
4. Compliment one another without being too matchy-matchy. Gone are the days of wearing matching jeans and white t-shirts. Instead opt for coordinating outfits of varying colours, textures, and patterns. And try to match one another on how casual or dressy you are– if you’re wearing a formal dress and your beau is wearing jeans and a t-shirt, it’ll look like someone missed the memo!
5. Keep it simple. Too much jewellery, too many layers can all be too distracting or add “bulk” to your photos, neither of which you want!
6. Lastly, don’t sweat it! I know sometimes people put sooo much pressure on themselves to have the perfect outfit for their engagement session, but when it comes right down to it, as long as you’re not naked, you’ll be dressed perfectly!